Our thoughts, emotions, and experiences each play a role in our decision-making. But when we spend much of our time thinking negatively about our bodies, we become conditioned to thinking that these thoughts are our reality.
When encouraging dancers to “rewire” their brain, the phrase “we are what we think” comes to mind. In order to transform negative thoughts and feelings, we must crowd them out with positives. Enter positive affirmations. By definition, affirmations describe factual attributes that offer emotional support. Whether you believe them or not, take a second to build a list of personal positive affirmations. Over time, these thoughts can help you condition yourself to a more positive mindset. Cultivating a mindset that encompasses kind and compassionate thoughts is one of the best ways to transform our beliefs and create a new mental script. Here are a bunch to get you started:
- I feel strong in my body.
- The number on the scale doesn’t reflect me or my dance abilities.
- My body makes me special and unique.
- Body acceptance is a journey and I’m on it.
- I enjoy feeling good about my body.
- My current self is enough.
- I am grateful for my body
- I am thankful for my strength.
- I love and accept my body just as is it today.
- I give my body the nourishing food it enjoys.
- I love my body because it allows me to experience the world.
- My body deserves to be taken care of with nourishing meals.
- I am a good example to other dancers about how to love their bodies.
- I am learning how to love my body.
- I love delicious food and there is no shame in that.
- I want to treat my body with love and respect.
- I give my body permission to change.
- I am more than the food I eat.
- I believe that I can find peace with my body.
- I believe that I can truly love my current self.
- The foods I eat do not reflect my self-worth
- I give myself permission to feel satisfied with my food choices
- There is no such thing as a perfect or ideal body type.
- What I ate yesterday does not dictate what I eat today.
- I possess the qualities needed to be successful in whatever I choose to do.
If you’re looking to move closer to a place of self-love, then sign up for my 5 Days To Body Confidence Challenge. You’ll join hundreds of dancers who are making strides towards body acceptance. And last, don’t forget to share your favorite positive affirmations in the comments below!