The Importance of Dance Nutrition
A dancer’s body relies on nutritious meals to fuel movement and to sharpen technique. A nutrient-dense diet is a key component to performance. Proper meal planning improves strength and endurance, maximizes jump height and aerobic capacity, and reduces injury risk.
Nutrition Information provides dancers with accessible evidence-based knowledge to build a diet that supports strength and endurance.
Nutrition Education helps dancers maintain an injury free career.
Nutrition Counseling offers dancers individualized support to develop sustainable habits for healthy weight management and body composition goals.
Dancers are immersed in a body-focused world. This creates a vulnerable environment to the pre-occupation with body weight. It’s important to realize that as a dancer, you are an artist and an athlete. Without proper nutrition, performance suffers. Nutritional deficiencies can result in muscle loss, weak bones, chronic fatigue, and stress-related injuries.
5 Nutrition Tips for Dancers
- Incorporate Carbs– A dancer’s daily menu should contain sources of carbohydrates, protein, and fats. Complex carbs help to maintain energy levels while simple carbs provide a quick energy boost.
- Don’t Fear Fat– Despite the negative reputation surrounding fat in our culture, fat is essential for hormonal balance, vitamin absorption, and satisfaction after meals.
- Small and Frequent Meals/Snacks– Eat consistently throughout the day; every 2-4 hours, depending on your schedule and activity level.
- Add Produce– Plant-based foods include whole grains, legumes, nuts, seeds, veggies, and fruit. Add these throughout your daily meal plan to gain immune-boosting nutrients, gut-friendly fibers, and heart-healthy oils.
- Make Choices, Not Rules– Restrictions never work long-term and food rules can lead you down a tunneled road of disordered eating. All foods can fit into a healthy lifestyle. Consult with a licensed nutrition professional, such as a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist to tailor your individualized nutritional needs for your performance goals.
Food should be enjoyable.
The Healthy Dancer® teaches you how.